Thursday, October 11, 2012

Getting Exactly What I Want

I’ve always wanted a little French looking bergere with rococo swirls.  I saw one online at Horchow and was love at first sight and it was also it was $1,800.00!  So I did what I do when I want something real bad and I can’t afford it, I make "budget" version of it.  So I found a similar style online for $125.00, but it had a natural wood finish with a 70’s brown, orange and gold striped velvet fabric.  It came from New York City aboard a Grey Hound truck.  I had no idea at the time you could ship that way.  I had a vision of the chair in a distressed cream with a luxurious fabric in my living room.  I can sew, so I started like I do all projects, irresponsibly diving in and then assessing what needs to be done as I go.  The painting and distressing was super simple, I like to paint too.  Then I was onto the fabric hunt.  I chose a completely inappropriate light sapphire blue silk fabric.  Mind you I have three small dogs, and my living room is the sunniest part of the house.  I had it completely stripped of fabric within a few hours.  It was at this point I decided I needed help so I thought wouldn’t it be nice to see someone doing this then it hit me –  the library!  Libraries these days are soooo cool, just like Amazon but free, and you don’t have to find a permanent spot in your bookshelf.  I hit the jackpot and they had some books and a VIDEO!  I watched the video a few times and dove in, oh yeah I bought some simple upholstery tools.  Let me tell you it was a really difficult and I can’t tell you how many times I hit my nails with the stupid hammer trying put in those tiny little tack nail looking things.  There’s a reason why upholstery is expensive it’s time consuming and hard work.  I also burned the heck out of myself with the glue gun when I was putting on the welt or is it gimp?  Oh and I didn't think about the effect of the heat from the glue gun on the silk.   All in all I think I did a pretty good job aside from the fact that I will have to take it in to have it reupholstered in a few years when the sun has its way with it.  What do you think?  Oh and the little black mark is another story.
 

 

No comments: